I made this at the request of Fuz’s mum. Apparently it was delicious. No idea why it was so good, fingers crossed I can repeat it with this recipe and the next time I make it!
For 4-6 portions you need
- 250g macaroni, cooked to al dente
- 600ml semi skimmed milk
- 40g plain flour
- 40g butter
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 250g strong cheddar (I used McLelland’s Seriously Strong Vintage Cheddar in case that makes a difference Helen!)
- ½ cup fresh breadcrumbs (about 2 slices)
- 2 handfuls fresh parmesan, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees. Cook the pasta, draining well once cooked.
- Place the milk, butter and flour in a pan and slowly bring to the boil, using a whisk stir to ensure no lumps.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and add the mustard powder and 2/3 of the cheese. Mix well and season to taste.
- Mix the pasta into the sauce and tip into an oven proof dish. Mix the remaining cheddar into the breadcrumbs and scatter over the top. Finish by sprinkling over the parmesan.
- Bake in the oven for 20 mins until golden brown and bubbling. Delicious comfort food!