Christmas isn’t Christmas without at least one pavlova. I usually make a huge one and then struggle to fit it in the fridge… Having watched the Bake Off Showstopper challenge this series, I fancied a go at a triple layered version for this year. It worked! I used raspberries and mixed summer berries in ours but you can use whatever you want as long as it’s not horrible crunchy passion fruit seeds or pomegranate 😉
For 8-10 portions you need
- 6 egg whites (use the yolks in something else)
- pinch salt
- 350g caster sugar
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 600ml double cream
- 2 x 250g packs of frozen fruit, defrosted (or whatever you want to fill and top it with)
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees.
- Line three baking sheets with baking parchment.
- Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Add the sugar a little at a time, whisking all the time on a slower speed until they are stiff and glossy. Add the cornflour and vinegar.
- Spread 1/3 of the mix on each baking sheet fitting to the size of whatever serving dish you will be using.
- For the final layer, spread out a circle and then pipe the remaining meringue mixture to form peaks.
- Reduce the oven heat to 130 degrees and bake the meringues for 1-1.5 hours until they are risen, golden brown and crispy.
- Switch off the oven and leave the door open a crack by wedging a spoon into the door. Leave to cool completely.
- Once cooled, whisk the cream to soft peaks and layer up the pavlova with the fruit and cream finishing with a layer of fruit.
- Stand back and admire your creation.