We had steamed buns last week at the Man Behind the Curtain and I’ve been meaning to try a similar recipe for ages. Tonight was the night it appears! The bun recipe is from Jamie Oliver’s 15 minute meals. I was dubious they would work but they did. They turned out like giant steamed dumplings and soaked up the soya sauce deliciously 👌🏻
For three people you need
- 250g self raising flour
- 200ml coconut milk
Tofu and Vegetables
- 1 pack tofu, pressed for at least 30 mins and then cut into strips
- Vegetables of your choice to steam, we had sprouts and cauliflower
- 2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3″ cucumber, de-seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- Black sesame seeds
- Mix the sauce ingredients for the pickled veg in a bowl.
- Toss the cucumber, carrots and onions in and leave to pickle for 15 mins or so. Sprinkle over 1 tbsp black sesame seeds.
- Air fry the tofu for 12 mins until golden and crispy.
- Make the buns by mixing the coconut milk and flour together, kneading into a dough. Cut into six equal sized pieces and place each into a muffin case.
- Steam the buns for 5 mins, then add the veg to the steamer (in a separate tray) and steam for a further 5 mins.
- Serve and enjoy!