They say you should eat the rainbow, and this bowl is packed full of delicious things to help you achieve that goal! I think it’s also at least four of your five a day in one yummy bowl. Don’t be put off by the list of ingredients, it’s not complicated to make.
For four portions you need:
Marinated Cucumber in Ginger, Garlic and Mirin
- 1/2 cucumber, cut in half and de-seeded
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 1″ piece of ginger, grated
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 red chilli, sliced (add more for extra heat)
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped fresh coriander
- 200g fresh kale
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- sprinkle of sea salt flakes
- 1 pack firm tofu – I like Cauldron Foods tofu for dishes like this.
- 1/2 bottle Poke sauce (we used Kikkoman Poke Sauce)
- 2 tbsp oil
Avocado with Lime and Ginger
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 225g sushi rice, cooked according to the packet instructions
- 2 tbsp toasted mixed seeds
- 2 large carrots, peeled and then peeled into ribbons
- 1/4 red cabbage, finely shredded
- Remaining lime to garnish
- Begin by pressing the tofu. Use a press if you have one and if not, drain the tofu, wrap in a thick tea towel and place on a plate and put a very heavy weight on top of it – I use a cast iron pan and a 4kg kettlebell! Ideally press overnight or for at least an hour.
- Cook the sushi rice and leave to cool slightly.
- Cut the cucumber into slices about .25cm thick. Place in a bowl with the remaining ingredients and set aside to marinate whilst you make the rest of the dish.
- Place all the avocado ingredients together in a bowl and leave to one side.
- I use my air fryer to cook the kale – simply place everything in the fryer and cook for 5-7 mins until crispy. If you don’t have an air fryer then cook in a single layer in a hot (220 degrees) oven for 8-10 mins.
- Cut the tofu into 1cm cubes. Heat the oil in a wok until very hot then fry the tofu, tossing it frequently to ensure even cooking. This will take about 10 mins. Add the poke sauce to the pan and heat briefly. Take off the heat and assemble your bowls. Sprinkle with the seeds and squeeze over the lime. Eat. Feel simultaneously smug and amazed you made something this good!