Yeah. Black quinoa mofos. I’m so totally more hipster than you 😉 And no, there isn’t much difference between the normal type and this one or the red one! I found it lurking at the back of the cupboard when I had a New Year clear out so thought I’d better use it… I also found some unpleasant cheap cider that I’d got to mull but hadn’t got round to using. This was an inspired chuck it all in and see what happens dish and what happened was I’d definitely make it again so here is the recipe!
For four portions you need
- 1 tbsp oil
- 8 vegan sausages
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into fat discs
- 4 potatoes, cut into chunky cubes
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1 can cider
- 2 tsp stock powder
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tin black eyed beans, drained and rinsed
- 200g spinach, washed and shredded
- 1 tsp dried sage
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup black quinoa
- Begin by frying the leek, carrots, potatoes and sausages in the oil until the vegetables are starting to get tender and the sausages have browned a little, about 10 mins.
- Add the cider, stock powder and mustard and bring to the boil. Add the quinoa, beans and sage and cook gently covered for 10-15 mins until the quinoa, potatoes and carrots are cooked. You may need to add a little more stock if necessary as you want a bit of sauce left.
- Season to taste and add the spinach. Leave to wilt, covered and with the heat off, for 5 mins. This will also allow the quinoa to finish cooking and relax a little.
- Delicious served with some apple sauce on the side.