I love good, old fashioned bearded home knitted yogurt veggie fayre. This falls firmly into that camp. Hearty, disgustingly good for you and versatile. We served these hot as full burgers with all the trimmings including sweet potato fries and home made skinny french fries. They were also yummy cold the next day with salad, drenched in hot Thai chilli sauce.
For 6-8 burgers you need
- 1 tin butterbeans, drained and rinsed
- 1 onion
- 100g fresh breadcrumbs (about 3-4 slices bread)
- 2 carrots, coarsely grated
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 tsp each of ground cumin, coriander and garam masala
- Trimmings of your choice depending on how you want to serve them e.g. burger buns, relishes, salad, chilli sauce etc
- In a food processor make the breadcrumbs. Tip into a large mixing bowl.
- Blitz the onion and beans together until mushy (20-30 secs). Tip into the bowl with the breadcrumbs.
- Swap the blade for a grater attachment and grate the carrots. Yep, tip into the mixing bowl…
- Add everything else and squidge together with your hands.
- Form into 6-8 patties depending on appetite and greed. Place on to a lined baking sheet and bake in a 180 degree oven for 20 mins, turning halfway through the cooking time. Enjoy 🙂