This was an experiment which thankfully worked and used up a packet of stuffing mix and a pack of whole chestnuts left over from Christmas. It freezes well and also makes a nice sandwich filling.
For a 2lb loaf which will cut into 8-10 slices you need
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1/2 cup black quinoa
- 2 tsp stock powder
- 1 packet of stuffing mix – I used Tesco’s Finest sage and red onion stuffing mix
- 1 pack whole chestnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 200ml boiling water
- Begin by cooking the lentils and quinoa in 1.5 cups water with the stock powder for 20 mins until the lentils are mushy and the quinoa is cooked. Turn off the heat and leave to cool in a covered pan for at least 30 mins.
- Add everything else into the lentil mix and then pack into a lined and greased 2lb loaf tin.
- Bake at 170 degrees for 35 mins until cooked through. Slice and serve as part of a roast dinner.