Wednesday night is band practice night for Fuz so I have the joy of working all day and then going home and having to sort tea for Lex and I on my own. What you need on days like this is speed, but also taste.
My mum makes the most wonderful tomato based pasta sauce. I love it. She told me once the secret is a pinch of ground cinnamon. Here is my attempt to capture the flavour of her sauce. It’s never quite as good as hers, but it’s pretty close. You can use whatever veggies you want in it. We had a glut of red peppers that needed to be eaten so I used those. From starting to chop the onion to sitting down and eating it all took less than 20 mins, result.
For 3-4 portions you need
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can plum tomatoes, blitzed
- 1/2 a can of cold water
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp season all (or just use salt)
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tsp veggie stock powder
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 red pepper, roughly diced
- freshly cooked pasta to serve.
- Begin by sauteeing the onions in the oil for 5-10 mins. Keep the heat gentle to allow the onions to soften without colouring.
- Add the peppers and the garlic, cook for another 1-2 mins.
- Add everything else and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the pasta is cooked.
- Serve liberally over cooked pasta and enjoy 🙂