Oh tofu, how much do I love you? I created this savoury tofu to top some vegetable noodles we had on Sunday. The texture was nicely chewy without being rubbery and the taste was deep, savoury and satisfying.
For 4 portions you need
- 1 396g pack cauldron tofu, drained and pressed for 4-5 hours (I have an awesome tofu press which cost a fortune but honestly it’s BRILLIANT!)
- 1″ chunk of ginger, finely grated
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 3 tbsp soya sauce
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp white rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp black sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp oil
- Begin by dicing the tofu into 5mm cubes.
- Heat a wok until smoking hot and add the oil. Toss the tofu in the hot oil for about 10 mins until it is lightly browned all over.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, aside from the sesame seeds, and cook until the sauce has reduced into a thick sticky glaze that coats the tofu.
- Toss through the sesame seeds and serve. It’s equally delicious hot or cold.