When it’s your birthday in our house, you can choose what’s for tea. This year I chose bangers and mash as it’s been a grey January so far and I wanted comfort food. But to make it that little bit extra special I made the gravy from scratch. It only takes 20 mins and the results are soooooooo worth it.
For three people you need
- Vegan sausages (we used Shroomdogs and Linda McCartney sausages)
- Potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- Vegan spread – 2 tbsp
- Salt and pepper
- Vegetables of your choice
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced (I used my mandolin for consistency)
- 200ml red wine
- 200ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp each of soya sauce and mushroom ketchup
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1.5 tsp sugar
- Put the potatoes on to boil. Cook for 17 mins once boiling until tender. Drain and add 1 tbsp spread then mash thoroughly until smooth and creamy. Season to taste.
- Heat a large frying pan and add the other 1 tbsp spread. Add the onion and sugar and cook for 10 mins until lightly golden.
- Sprinkle in the flour and cook out for 2-3 mins. Add the stock, wine, soya sauce and mushroom ketchup and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and allow to thicken. Stir every now and then to prevent lumps.
- Cook the sausages – I use my air fryer where they take about 16 mins.
- Steam the veg and then serve up and enjoy.